Wednesday, January 24, 2007

record time

i am so happy because i'm sitting here watching the australian open and i finally got my old RCA record player i got for my 18th birthday to work! i brought the sucker all the way here from home because i couldn't stand having all my records here and just my little portable player to play them on. don't get me wrong, that little thing has pretty good sound for its size, but i missed hearing my vinyl in full stereo sound. i didn't initially bring it because you have to hook it up to another stereo so that means i had to bring my old stereo up here too which takes up a lot of space and is kind of a pain to travel with all the way up here but i think it was worth it as i sit here listening to Bob's smooth voice on Nashville Skyline. I've missed hearing that voice on vinyl. there's nothing like it....i would have gotten to hear that sound a lot sooner if the needle on my record player weren't nonexistent. i finally got my speakers hooked up which took me a lot longer than it should have and i put the needle with much anticipation to listen to modern times and it sounded like driving on a gravel road. so i had to go get a new needle. i ended up having to take the whole player to radio shack where it originally came from. i ended up having to order a new needle because they didnt' have them in the stores anymore. luckily the shipment didn't take that long but the needle cost me 20 bucks. that is correct. that is a lot of money for a small piece of plastic but the listening enjoyment that piece of plastic provides is worth the the money.

it's kind of funny to listen to bob while watching tennis though. interesting mix. oh well, they go together in my world.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

yea for records and jumping rope! 'hope your final semester is going well.

blanche rockabilly said...

whoa! well you do have those fancy turn tables so that makes sense.....

thanks ellen! i hope you have a great semester too and good luck with the jump rope. you inspired me to start jumping again!