Monday, January 28, 2008

don't let the sun go down on your grievance


I can't stop listening to Daniel Johnston lately. If you haven't seen the film The Devil and Daniel Johnston, you simply must. He's a musician with bi polar disorder who makes the most painfully honest music I've ever heard. A friend of mine said he's too honest, which he may be but it just strikes such a chord with me. It's funny how he and Wesley Willis have some similar subject matter in their songs like the devil and even Casper the friendly Ghost. well, Wesley's song about Casper involves the friendly ghost being a homosexual so there's a difference there. But they both sing about issues of God and the devil and animals and such. Wesley has a song called "The Chicken Cow" and Daniel has a song called "Walking the Cow." I don't know, maybe it's just coincidence....And they're both diagnosed with some mental illness. That would be an interesting research paper I think. maybe in my free time....





No comments: