Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Joy

i saw Lucinda Williams last night and it was better than i had even expected! THAT WOMAN RAWKS! she is so hardcore, i want to be like her when i grow up. the first thing she said when she came on stage was "i just ate a bunch of the best sopailpillas, i just want to die in a big bowl of sopaipillas with honey, that would be heaven" she knows what sopaipillas are, her coolness just went way up after she said that. we used to go to pancho's and eat the hell out of some sopaipillas. she was just so personable and engaging the whole time which i didn't expect. she was very reserved the last time i saw her which was 2001. but last night she even talked about a lot of the history behind some songs and what they mean which i really loved. i've listened to her songs for so long and to actually know exactly who they're about is really cool. i mean a lot of them are self explanatory but it's nice to know who the people are that she's singing about. she even said "i'm gonna be ya'll musical therapist tonight" i was like right on sista. she even added a ruthlesss yell "mother fucker" to the end of a line in "Joy" that goes, "i dont' want you anymore cause you took my Joy.... that really got the crowd going. i have to say the crowd was awesome too. she kept saying what a receptive and captive audience we were. i felt proud to be part of such an appreciating audience of such an amazing woman....she had some rockin bling too. a big diamond studded bracelet with belt to match and big hoop earings and a dragon looking tattoo on her arm. besides my mom she has to be the coolest 50 something lady ever. not that my mom has any tattoos, (that i know of) jk, but my mom is pretty cool i have to say. i felt bad she couldn't see her with me, she's a really big fan of hers too. we used to listen to her in the car on the way to tennis tournaments driving the same roads that she sings about in her songs. i love that she's from the same place as me and she talks about all the places i know so well in her songs. she sang "bus to baton rouge" which was beautiful. it was truly an amazing show and it made my want to get back in that smoky bar and sing the hell out of her songs again!

1 comment:

Molly said...

*hyperventilates with envy* SO. SO. SO. SO. SO. SO. SO. JEALOUS. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that woman. I have to say that Prof. Kelley ranks equally up there with world's coolest 50something women. I don't know which one of them I love more. But I'm so glad you went and that it was awesome!!!!!